THE CLASSIC HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN FAIRY TALES, edited by Sheila Black


PUBLISHER:
Courage Press, 1991
IMAGES: link 
GOODREADS: link
MY GRADE: A

SYNOPSIS: For generations of readers, Hans Christian Andersen's stories have opened a world of unforgettable enchantment. This beautiful edition brings nine of Andersen's most beloved tales to life through rich, full color artwork by some of America's most gifted illustrators.

Contains the stories The Emperor's New Clothes, The Steadfast Tin Soldier, The Princess and the Pea, Thumbelina, The Fir Tree, The Little Mermaid, The Nightingale, The Little Match Girl, The Ugly Duckling.


MY THOUGHTS: This contains nine stories and is just 56 pages. This is a taller than average book, which is disappointing because it won't fit on my shelf. It measures 13 1/4" x  10 1/8" x 1/2". The full color illustrations are absolutely beautiful and very colorful.

The stories are retold by author and poet Sheila Black and illustrated by seven people. Each story contains more than two full color images. I didn't compare the stories to the originals so I can't tell you if they're practically the same or not, but I think they are, from what I can remember of the originals. Most of these stories aren't really fit for children, but you likely already knew that. The Little Mermaid is far too deep and dark for children and I really like it. It's very sad. The Little Match Girl and The Ugly Duckling definitely aren't for children. But I like dark stories so I liked all of these, even the light ones. Truthfully I bought this for the illustrations and they didn't disappoint.


No comments: