A ROSE IN WINTER by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss


PUBLISHER: Avon, 12/1982
GENRE: Fiction/Historical Romance
SETTING: England, 1792
MY GRADE: A

SYNOPSIS: Erienne's father had given her hand to the richest suitor. She was now Lady Saxton, mistress of a great manor all but ruined by fire, wife to a man whose mysteriously shrouded form aroused fear and pity. Yet even as she fell in love with her adoring husband, Erienne despaired of freeing her heart from the dashingly handsome Yankee who couldn't forget her. The beautiful Erienne, once filled with young dreams of romance, was now a wife and woman...torn between the two men she loved.


MY THOUGHTS: This was very good but slow until the last 100 pages (of a 564 page book) or so, then it really picked up. Time span is just a few months. 

Erienne is twenty with black hair, violet eyes, and is very spirited. I really like her. She's a very strong character who knows how to stand up to people. She's got an eighteen-year-old brother, Farrell. Her mother died years before. She lives with her horrible father, Avery, who treats her like garbage and reveals secrets to Erienne. He's sheriff but that's just a cover for the bad things he's doing. I found him to be very annoying because he spoke like a country bumpkin and it got on my nerves.

Christopher Seton is cousin to the man she marries, Lord Stuart Sexton. Christopher has russet-brown hair, gray-green eyes and is thirty-three. He's madly in love with Erienne from the start and pursues her, even after she's married. He's been living in American for awhile and most call him 'Yankee.' He's very likable and I absolutely love the way he antagonizes Erienne at every turn. He loves to ruffle her feathers and she falls for it every time. She hates him for wounding her brother and wants nothing to do with him.

Stuart has returned to the semi-burned home, Saxton Hall, after being presumed dead for a few years. He wears a black hood to cover his burned face and gloves to hide his burned hands. Everyone's disturbed by his appearance, most especially Erienne, who's reluctant to consummate their marriage. After marrying him she thought "he looked like he crawled from the pits of hell."

Claudia Talbot's a minor character for most of the story. She's a nasty young woman who resembles Erienne. She has the makings of a good villain and I wish more had been done to make her one.

There's a great twist in the last 150 pages involving Stuart and Christopher that I didn't see coming. Erienne thought she's figured it out (out of nowhere, of course) but it turned out to be something even crazier. I prefer her original thought though I'm happy with the actual twist. There's someone known as a night rider who's out killing people but turns out that person, who I didn't suspect, isn't really the one doing the killings, so that was a bit confusing.

Erienne should have felt some angst because of having to deal with being strongly attracted to Christopher while being married to Stuart but there wasn't any.

I'm so happy with this plot but the book shouldn't have been so long, almost 600 pages. The twist seems unique to me and I liked it a lot. I've read four of her books and this is the only one I've liked. The original cover of this, which I've used in this post, is beautiful. I wish I hadn't waited 12.5 years to get around to reading it.

Other Woodiwiss books I've reviewed:

The Elusive Flame, sequel to The Flame and the Flower


No comments: