APRIL FOOLS by Richie Tankersley Cusick


PUBLISHER: Scholastic, 4/1990
GENRE: Young Adult Fiction/Horror
SETTING: Unknown, USA
SERIES: Point Horror
PURCHASE: link
MY GRADE: A

FROM PUBLISHER: Coming home from a forbidden April Fools party, Belinda and her friends witness a horrible accident. When no one appears to have survived, the three friends vow not to admit they were there. Then the sick pranks begin, and Belinda must discover the truth to save their lives!














MY THOUGHTS: This was a fairly interesting read by a female author. The blurb of this story sounds like I Know What You Did Last Summer but is very different. I liked Belinda, the high school senior leading lady, and didn't mind her two uncaring friends, Hildy and Frank, much but found her female best friend Hildy to be annoying and negative. And I don't understand why Hildy, a seventeen year old, was wearing her hair in braids in 1990. 

I liked the very dark character of Adam, the boy close to her age that she was tutoring. I don't have much of an opinion of his stepbrother, Noel, other than to say he's the opposite of Adam in personality, outwardly, anyway. They're the same age, eighteen. I liked Noel's cold mother and would have liked to have seen more of her but her time in the novel was very short.

Spoiler->>>>>>>>> All of the strange things going on were done by multiple people, which I didn't like.

There were several possibilities as to who the villain could be but I didn't guess it. I doubt many did. This is one novel that should have been longer than it was.  It could have easily been another 100 pages. I'd have liked some backstory on Noel and his mother, and more too on Adam.



No comments: